The National Science Foundation has funded the development of EarthCube through individual EarthCube awards since 2013. In 2019, NSF awarded 10 new EarthCube activities, for a total of 73 awards, categorized into:
- Building Blocks (BBs), to develop novel infrastructure capabilities and demonstrate their value in a science context;
- Research Coordination Networks (RCNs), to engage the science community around joint goals;
- Conceptual Designs (CDs), to develop broad architecture design and explore integrative systems;
- Integrative Activities (IAs), to explore concepts for the design of an enterprise architecture;
- Data Infrastructures (DIs), to lay the groundwork for shared data; and
- Science-Enabling Data Capabiities (DCs), to enable geosciences data use and reuse interoperable with emerging standards and resources.