To join the Council of Data Facilities' listserv, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org; you must reply to the confirmation email before you will be added to the listserv.
Documents (including monthly telecon notes) are available here.
Geoscience data facilities will enable transformational science, innovative education, and informed public policy through increased coordination, collaboration, and innovation in the acquisition, curation, preservation, and dissemination of geoscience data, tools, models, and services. Existing and emerging geoscience data facilities – through the Council – are committed to serving as an effective foundation for EarthCube.
Mission of the Council of Data Facilities
The Council of Data Facilities Charter states that its mission is to serve in a coordinating and facilitating role that includes advancing the following five goals:
- Provide a collective voice on behalf of the member data facilities to the NSF and other foundations and associations, as appropriate
- Identify, endorse, and promote standards and best or exemplary practices in the organization and operation of a data facility
- Identify and support the development and utilization of shared infrastructure services, including computing services, professional staff development and training services, and related activities
- Foster innovation through collaborative projects
- Collaborate with standard-setting bodies with respect to standards for data sharing and interoperability, metadata, and related matters
- Engage and establish partnerships among data facilities
- Serve as an emissary among software developers, the science community, the cyberinfrastructure community, and educators
- Ensure the explicit connection between the scientific process and technical function, including coordinating testbeds and other mechanisms for evaluation of cyberinfrastructure components, and identifying and prioritizing science use cases
- Engage and support end users and stakeholders (e.g. professional societies, publishers, government, commercial), including attracting new users to EarthCube
- Encourage, engage, and enable the next generation of EarthCube data facilities leadership
CDF Executive Committee
- Chair: Tim Ahern, IRIS (two-year term) July 2016-July 2018
- Vice-chair: Danie Kinkade, BCO-DMO (one-year term) July 2017-July 2018
- Secretary: Chris Crosby, UNAVCO (finishing a two-year term) July 2017-July 2018
- At-large: Doug Fils, Consortium for Ocean Leadership (one-year term) July 2017-July 2018
- At-large: Jessica Hausman, NASA (two-year term) July 2016-July 2018
- At-large: Karen Stocks, Geological Data Center (one-year term) July 2017-July 2018
- At-large: Bernard Minster, WDS (two-year term) July 2016-July 2018
General Assembly Meeting - Summer 2017 General Assembly -- details here.
CDF Meeting notes (2017)