To join the Council of Data Facilities' listserv, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org; you must reply to the confirmation email before you will be added to the listserv.
Geoscience data facilities will enable transformational science, innovative education, and informed public policy through increased coordination, collaboration, and innovation in the acquisition, curation, preservation, and dissemination of geoscience data, tools, models, and services. Existing and emerging geoscience data facilities – through the Council – are committed to serving as an effective foundation for EarthCube.
Core Trust Seal Certification -- Cohort of Data Repositories
Second Webinar: Monday, November 26, 2018
Speakers: Ingrid Dillo, Deputy Director of DANS (slides)
Helen Glaves, Senior Data Scientist, British Geological Survey (slides)
Click here for the recording.
First webinar: Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018
Click HERE for the Recording with Rorie Edmunds (Program Director for World Data System International Program Office) and John Faundeen (USGS)
A cohort of data repositories is being assembled to apply for CoreTrustSeal certification as part of the American Geophysical Union Coalition Enabling FAIR Data Project. CoreTrustSeal certification demonstrates to a repository’s users and funders that they have been evaluated by an independent authority and endorsed for their trustworthiness.
We are planning a series of webinars to provide more information on CoreTrustSeal and the certification process, the first of which will be Tuesday October 30. The webinars will be recorded and made available for those unable to attend. The plan is to have at least 2 webinars - one in October with Rorie Edmunds (Program Director for World Data System International Program Office) and John Faundeen (USGS) and then a second one with people who have been through the process.
If you are interested in becoming a member of this cohort, please send an email to Rebecca Koskela (email@example.com).
Please pass this on to anyone you think would be interested in joining the cohort.
Mission of the Council of Data Facilities
The Council of Data Facilities Charter states that its mission is to serve in a coordinating and facilitating role that includes advancing the following five goals:
- Provide a collective voice on behalf of the member data facilities to the NSF and other foundations and associations, as appropriate
- Identify, endorse, and promote standards and best or exemplary practices in the organization and operation of a data facility
- Identify and support the development and utilization of shared infrastructure services, including computing services, professional staff development and training services, and related activities
- Foster innovation through collaborative projects
- Collaborate with standard-setting bodies with respect to standards for data sharing and interoperability, metadata, and related matters
- Engage and establish partnerships among data facilities
- Serve as an emissary among software developers, the science community, the cyberinfrastructure community, and educators
- Ensure the explicit connection between the scientific process and technical function, including coordinating testbeds and other mechanisms for evaluation of cyberinfrastructure components, and identifying and prioritizing science use cases
- Engage and support end users and stakeholders (e.g. professional societies, publishers, government, commercial), including attracting new users to EarthCube
- Encourage, engage, and enable the next generation of EarthCube data facilities leadership
CDF Executive Committee
- Co-chair/Chair of CDF Exec and General Assembly Meetings: Danie Kinkade, BCO-DMO (two-year term) July 2018-July 2020
- Co-Chair/Representative to EarthCube Leadership Council: Steve Diggs, Clivar and Carbon Hydrographic Data Office (CCHDO) at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD (two-year term) July 2018-July 2020
- At-large: Christine Laney, NEON (two-year term) July 2018-July 2020
- At-large: Jessica Hausman, PO.DAAC, NASA (two-year term) July 2018-July 2020
- At-large: Chuck Meertens, UNAVCO (two-year term) July 2018-July 2020
- Meeting NOTES
General Assembly Meetings -
- Summer 2018 General Assembly links to presentations and recording HERE
- Winter 2018 General Assembly -- details and links to presentations here
- Summer 2017 General Assembly -- details here.