Name of session leads: Yolanda Gil, TAC and Chris MacDermaid, CDF
Affiliations with EarthCube: Council of Data Facilities and Technology
and Architecture Committee
Title of session: Connecting EarthCube Projects to the Data Facilities
Presenters: Mohan Ramamurthy/Unidata, Yolanda Gil/USC
The EarthCube Council of Data Facilities (CDF) is a federation of existing and emerging geoscience data facilities that serve as a foundation for EarthCube and cyberinfrastructure for the geosciences. This session will be an opportunity for ongoing EarthCube projects and other members of the EarthCube Technology and Architecture Committee (TAC) to engage with the CDF. There will be an introduction by the chairs of the CDF and TAC which will be followed by a panel discussion.
The session will start with a brief introduction by Mohan Ramamoorthy as chair of the CDF and by Yolanda Gil as co-chair of the TAC. Then a first round of panelists will introduce relevant EarthCube building blocks projects. These short presentations will briefly introduce the technologies being developed, how they are being integrated with data facilities, and what would be required to make them work with other data facilities. These will include:
- BCube, which has an interface to BCO-DMO, NCAR, USGS - Siri Jodha Khalsa
- CHORDS, on real time streams accessed through OGC protocols - Ken Keiser
- CINERGI, which extracts metadata from several data catalogs - Ilya Zaslavsky
- Cyberconnector, will access data sources with standard interfaces compliant with OGC/W3C standards - Liping Di
- DisconBB, is working with CUAHSI Data Center and Unidata - David Arctur
- GeoDataSpace, is bridging with ACADIS publishing services - Tanu Malik
- Geosemantics, which is accessing data in SEAD - Mustafa Elag
A second round of short presentations will be about data facilities. The panelists will give an overview of the data facility, resources available to EarthCube projects, and challenges facing the data facility that could be addressed through EarthCube collaborations. These will include:
- Global Hydrology Resource Center (GHRC) - Ken Keiser
- National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) - Ruth Duerr
- Rolling Deck to Repository (R2R) - Bob Arko
- Interdisciplinary Earth Data Alliance (IEDA) - Kerstin Lehnert
- The Biological and Chemical Oceanography Data Management Office (BCO-DMO) - Cyndy Chandler
The session will end with a discussion of collaboration opportunities.
Target Audience: The target audience is EC Projects and CDF members, TAC members, and any computational geoscientist.